nanog mailing list archives

Re: NetSol opts domain customers into $1800 Security program?

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:22:34 -0500

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com> wrote:

So basically they are charging $1800 for 'Registrar Lock'?

Opt-in or Opt-out, it's still way expensive...

is it though? is it REALLY??

What's the cost for a lost domain for ~1 day while you try to haggle
with netsol (good luck!) on the phone to recover your domain? (for
someone who actually makes money on the internet I mean..
fergdawg.com.net.org.com doesn't count for this conversation :) )

I suppose they COULD move their domain to a registrar that does
registrar-lock for 'free', but that's a cost too, right? man power,
configuration mistakes, other billing things to setup... 1800 might be
'ok' for someone who's making a bunch of money/day. right?

and heck... if netsol gets 10 people to buy it they probably paid for
the work to actually do the 'registrar lock' right? :)