nanog mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with Spamhaus BGP DROP, EDROP and BGPCC BGP feeds

From: Curtis Doty <Curtis () GreenKey net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 13:06:14 -0800

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 11:04 AM, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

If you're a tiny little network, you can
use the public DNS servers for the BL lookups, and you can
FTP the text version of DROP and turn in into firewall
rules or whatever.  That's what I do (hack perl scripts
available on request.)

Here's working Bash script to sync the freely available DROP/EDROP lists
into a quagga/linux route server. https://gist.github.com/dotysan/8463112

I ran that awhile back without issue. But not anymore. Last year I added
the $250/yr BOTNETCC list which is BGP-only. And it was too convenient to
move the DROP/EDROP lists into BGP for an additional $250.

It works as advertized. The BOTNETCC list is only v4/32s and more dynamic
than the other lists. It's up to you to set it up correctly so an accident
doesn't blackhole your own prefixes...or favorite offshore gambling site.
:-p

../C