nanog mailing list archives

Re: Filter NTP traffic by packet size?

From: John Weekes <jw () nuclearfallout net>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:51:53 -0800

On 2/20/2014 12:41 PM, Edward Roels wrote:
Curious if anyone else thinks filtering out NTP packets above a certain
packet size is a good or terrible idea.

 From my brief testing it seems 90 bytes for IPv4 and 110 bytes for IPv6 are
typical for a client to successfully synchronize to an NTP server.

If I query a server for it's list of peers (ntpq -np <ip>) I've seen
packets as large as 522 bytes in a single packet in response to a 54 byte
query.  I'll admit I'm not 100% clear of the what is happening
protocol-wise when I perform this query.  I see there are multiple packets
back forth between me and the server depending on the number of peers it
has?

Would I be breaking something important if I started to filter NTP packets
200 bytes into my network?

If your equipment supports this, and you're seeing reflected NTP attacks, then it is an effective stopgap to block nearly all of the inbound attack traffic to affected hosts. Some still comes through from NTP servers running on nonstandard ports, but not much.

Standard IPv4 NTP response packets are 76 bytes (plus any link-level headers), based on my testing. I have been internally filtering packets of other sizes against attack targets for some time now with no ill-effect.

-John