nanog mailing list archives

Re: random dns queries with random sources

From: Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 01:11:28 -0500

Dobbins, Roland wrote:

On Feb 19, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon () ttec com> wrote:

What I cant figure out is what is the target and how this attack method is any more effective then the others.

The target appears to be the authoritative servers for the domain in question, yes?

I dont think so, but I have not compiled the full list of domains and compared the auth servers for each.

The attacker may consider it more effective because it provides a degree of obfuscation, or maybe he has some reason to
game the operators of the authoritative servers in question into denying requests from your recursors.

Most (not all) attackers don't know that much about TCP/IP, DNS, et. al, and they tend to copycat one another and do
the same things due to magical thinking.

Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

          Luck is the residue of opportunity and design.

                       -- John Milton