nanog mailing list archives

Re: Need trusted NTP Sources

From: "Majdi S. Abbas" <msa () latt net>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 15:53:49 -0500

On Fri, Feb 07, 2014 at 01:14:09PM -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
If you want something that is "cheap" as in you for your home, I can
recommend this: ~$350 w/ antenna, etc..

http://www.netburnerstore.com/product_p/pk70ex-ntp.htm

You can get the whole thing going quickly.  Majdi has also had good luck
with this unit (perhaps he wants to chime-in, heh pun unintended) regarding
a few other devices.

        The Netburner NTP sample app works well enough for basic home
use, although I get better timing performance out of a fleet of hand
modified Soekrii.

        I've been modifying NET4801s to include internal Motorola Oncore
timing receivers (this is a tight fit, but doable, in the factory
cases), or to break out their second serial port for connections to
external reference clocks.  (I have one connected to a TrueTime TL-3 to
use WWV as a backup to GPS, but it can also be a travelling GPS NTP
server with, say, a Garmin GPS18lvc connected.)

        You can make your own sub-$150 NTP server -- I'll spare the
list the details, but those that are interested should see:

        http://puck.nether.net/~majdi/ntp/

        Feedback is appreciated -- I've only spent about an hour on
this doc, and it assumes a lot of familiarity with FreeBSD.  I will
try to flesh it out more as I have time.

        Cheers,

        --msa