nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is there such a thing as a 10GBase-T SFP+ transciever

From: Jima <nanog () jima us>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 21:40:29 -0700

+1. Cisco calls them Twinax, HP calls them DACs. I don't know what anyone else calls them as it hasn't come up in conversation for me.

Cisco appears to offer them in 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, and 5 meter passive, as well as 7 and 10 meter active. HP has them in 1, 3, 7, 10, and 15 meter; no idea what the passive/active breakdown might be (they don't appear to offer that information as freely). I've mostly used the 3-meter HP DACs so far, and I've been rather happy with them, particularly the cost savings under 2x 10gbit SFP+ fiber transceivers.

     Jima