nanog mailing list archives

Re: Estonian IPv6 deployment report

From: Pavel Odintsov <pavel.odintsov () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 19:33:33 +0400

Hello, folks!

Tere from your customer FastVPS Eesti OU/AS198068! :)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Tarko Tikan <tarko () lanparty ee> wrote:
hey,

Some time ago, many people noticed rapid IPv6 deployment growth in Estonia
(from 0% to 5% in 4 weeks). We at 3249/Elion/Estonian Telecom were behind
this, other operators don't have any serious IPv6 deployments at the moment.
We rolled out v6 to everyone (both business and residential customers) with
last-gen CPE, there was no hop-in our hop-out program - aim was to do it
perfectly and without customers even noticing. I'm happy to say that we
achieved this goal :)

To satisfy general interest, I promised small (somehow it turned out longer
than I expected) technical writeup how we enabled v6 for our subscribers. If
you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I do my best to answer
them. You can also skip the technical content and there are some statistics
below.

Our access network is mix of DSL/GPON/wimax/p2p-ETH and broadband service is
deployed in shared service vlans. IPv6 traffic shares vlan with IPv4.

Service vlans are transported over MPLS metro network using pseudowires and
terminated in geo-clustered Alcatel 7750 BNG routers.

Each subscriber is allocated up to 4 mixed v4 and v6 IP hosts. For v4 we are
using the usual DHCP, for IPv6 we are using DHCPv6 with IA_PD only, no IA_NA
is provided. Unfortunately DHCPv6 provides no way to signal IPv6
default-route thus we have to fall back to RA for default-route. RA does not
include any on-link prefixes or DNS information. RAs are L2 unicasted to CPE
MAC so no other CPE in service vlan picks up those RAs. To ensure rapid
switchover between BNG routers, we are signalling virtual link-local address
as default-route.

We are using ALU internal DHCP/DHCPv6 servers to allocate leases but we also
signal IP information from radius (in such case BNG "fakes" DHCP server) for
static IP customers. Provided IPv6 prefix is always /56 and we keep the old
lease for 24h even if the CPE is turned off (actual lease time is 30min).

Unfortunately, IPv6 LDRA is not available on most of our access platforms so
we have to rely on IPv4 session information for authentication. This linking
is done in the radius server during subscriber authentication (excellent
radiator + quite awful SQL queries :) - if subscriber has IPv4 session (that
has been authenticated using DHCP opt82), same MAC address is allowed to
have IPv6 session on exactly the same virtual BNG port. IPv4 and v6 session
are both tied to same subscriber and share shapers, QOS etc.

We were able to enable IPv6 only on our last-gen Inteno CPEs. They run
modified OpenWrt and because it's linux - everything is possible :)

In CPE, /56 is divided up to /64s, first one is currently reserved but we
will configure it on loopback interface and use it for CPE management.
Second /64 is configured on LAN and third is configured on public wifi SSID
(if you choose to enable this option).

In the LAN, IPv6 config is provided by RAs, we also support RDNSS and
stateless DHCPv6 for DNS. There is also ingress IPv6 firewall in the CPE and
configuration is modifiable by user.

To make deployment as smooth as possible, we rolled out IPv6 capable CPE
software first. Then, during the BNG platform refresh, we deployed L2 ACLs
that dropped all IPv6 traffic based on 0x86dd ethertype. We then deployed
IPv6 config to all BNGs and could verify everything before single v6 lease
was handed out to the subscribers.

Then, interface by interface, we replaced L2 ACL with one that only allowed
0x86dd for certain, supported, OUIs. This is the current situation and we
are investigating ways to support 3rd party CPEs - main problem is
unreliable IPv6 config in CPEs. Many don't enable DHCPv6 (or enable NA but
no PD) but still pick up default-route from RA and happily signal it to LAN.
Some others hammer our BNGs with NA request every 0.1 seconds etc.

As statistics go, there are 30000+ active IPv6 subscribers (almost 15% of
our customer base, based on our public numbers), 81% of them have have at
least one IPv6 enabled device in the LAN, 70% have more than one. Most IPv6
traffic is generated by Google+Youtube, Facebook and Akamai. Not bad for a
country with 1.3M people.

Next up: mobile network :)

--
tarko