nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast residential DNS contact

From: Brian Rak <brak () gameservers com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 10:46:49 -0500

Shouldn't everyone be on IPv6 these days anyway ;)

On 12/3/2014 10:28 AM, Jared Mauch wrote:
So have A record queries. Do you filter those as well?

Jared Mauch

On Dec 3, 2014, at 9:08 AM, Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

On 12/03/2014 04:04 AM, Niels Bakker wrote:
* shortdudey123 () gmail com (Grant Ridder) [Wed 03 Dec 2014, 12:54 CET]:
Both of Google’s public DNS servers return complete results every time
and one of the two comcast ones works fine.

If this is working by design, can you provide the RFC with that info?
An ANY query will typically return only what's already in the cache.  So
if you ask for MX records first and then query the same caching resolver
for ANY it won't return, say, any TXT records that may be present at the
authoritative nameserver.

This could be implementation dependent, but Comcast's isn't wrong, and
you should not rely on ANY queries returning full data.  This has been
hashed out to tears in the past, for example when qm**l used to do these
queries in an attempt to optimise DNS query volumes and RTT.
At the ISP I consult to, I filter all ANY queries, because they have
been used for DNS amplification attacks.