nanog mailing list archives

Re: [HFC] pooling modems in layer2

From: charles () thefnf org
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:51:23 -0500

On 2014-08-12 09:23, Toney Mareo wrote:
Hello

I think it's kind of an isp secret but I would be curious how do
people distribute modems to pools before they would even reach the
actual IP network so on layer2:

http://dl.packetstormsecurity.net/papers/evaluation/docsis/Service_Distribution.jpg

For this I would like to get some clarification because I do not work
in the telco industry. As I can figure out of the docsis, cablelabs
documents. The CMTS device is connected to the coax segments through
fiber. Therefore one could say that the "modem facing" side is a fiber
optic interface but it's not 1000 Base-FX, not a regular Ethernet over
fiber. It sends signals through a broad range of frequencies.

Sounds about right to me.

So what I would like to accomplish to provide a different pool of dhcp
servers, which provides different config file, tod server, router, dns
etc. infos to the modems but to do all this in Layer2.

Why? Do you have a bunch of cable modems and a CMTS? If so, does the documentation not cover this? Or are you trying to hack your cable modem/cable provider?

I don't have hands on experience with CMTS-es but I would think that
they are able to pool clients by MACs and able to send eg 500 clients
to DHCP server1 and the other 1500 to DHCP server2 before they would
even get an IP, so I talking of pure layer2 here!

Let's say if the CMTS device does not support this, what are the other
options for routing layer2 traffic coming out of the CMTS?

Um. Probably via RADIUS and via VLAN assignment?

 If I would
know more about the device I would say that put a linuxbox after it
(on the ISP facing nic) and mark the packets going out with
arptables/ebtables then send them out of different nics to different
dhcp servers.

Most likely they just use VLANs. This rack of CMTS gear is on port 22 of the agg switch, vlan 2 and ip helper is set for vlan 2 to the desired dhcp server (which is most likely an HA floating IP if not a full blown VIP etc).