nanog mailing list archives

Re: AOL Mail updates DMARC policy to 'reject'

From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman () meetinghouse net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 13:35:53 -0400

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Steven Saner <ssaner () hubris net> said:
We run several mailing lists for customers. We frequently get feedback
reports from AOL saying that the AOL user has flagged the message as
spam. So, we remove said user from the list. They then complain that
they have been removed and swear that they didn't do it. Anyone have a
handle on what this is about?
That has been a problem basically as long as AOL has had the feedback
loop.  The theory is that some AOL users use "This is spam" as a delete
button; apparently at one point the buttons were right next to each
other (making it an easy accident).

I still see this one, both accidentally and intentionally (I'm not interested in this topic, so it's spam.)

Most of the lists I run are small - parent-teacher organizations, churches, and such - and I generally warn people about hitting the spam button, then I drop them if they do it again.

Miles Fidelman