nanog mailing list archives

Re: iOS 7 update traffic

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 08:55:50 +1000

In message <F11FF3CF-D363-4AF0-A030-B72CD68DD988 () puck nether net>, Jared Mauch
writes:

On Sep 19, 2013, at 7:13 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

Oh you mean that option that never made it past a internet-draft
that expired 13 years ago[1] and is in the private range[2] to boot.

If you want proxy discovery to work on all devices complete the
process of getting a code point allocated then get the OS vendors
to query for it.  252 is fine for experimenting / proof of concept
but it really is the wrong value for long term use.

Mark

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-wrec-wpad-01
[2]
http://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameter
s.xhtml

Sure!

I've found that Microsoft devices honor this option, but others do not.

I would be in support of something similar to provide this support, but
the part of my original reply you missed is that the content is
deliberately not-cachable on the part of either the CDN or the
originator.  Microsoft patches are also not easily cacheable as well
because they only request about 100Kb per request, so you get an awful
lot of HTTP/206.

They also make it easier to run local caches for an enterprise.

The apple process requires the full patch to come down in one-shot and
doesn't like being interrupted.

It might be easier for Warren to ship each customer a 16GB USB with the
whole set of images for each device type.  Then again, they would have to
know how to use them.... I know what to do, but my other family members,
not so much...

- Jared

So you fix one part at a time.  Each part is independently fixable.  Each
part helps by itself.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org