nanog mailing list archives

Re: iOS 7 update traffic

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 16:41:45 -0400

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:18:29 -0000, Warren Bailey said:

Reversing a few paragraphs to make a point.

We strive to provide a great customer experience, and when "Hardware Maker
X" decides to roll updates .. It can screw us. In this case, can means
absolutely will happen.

I mean, would it be THAT hard to enable a bonjour update server on an
apple router/computer/whatever and serve things up locally from there?
I've had many replies to this email already, and people are talking about
upgrading bandwidth and CDN's

So why didn't you?

Things are not created equal amongst internet providers, a transponder
(90mbps ish) runs us close to 160k a month and that's not including gear
costs, teleport, etc.

And you pay Apple *how* much to guarantee that they don't do things that
upset the business model you consciously chose to use?  Oh, you don't
pay them?  And your users pay *you* to ensure that when they hit 'Download',
that magical things happen?  And iOS downloads are user pulls, not Apple
pushes?

Sounds to me like you and your users need to have a chat about what they
pay for and what their expectations should be.....