nanog mailing list archives

Re: iOS 7 update traffic

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:42:12 -0400

On 2013-09-19, at 14:11, Warren Bailey <wbailey () satelliteintelligencegroup com> wrote:

I don't see how operators could tolerate this, honestly. I can't think of a single provider who does not
oversubscribe their access platform... Which leads me to this question :

Why does apple feel it is okay to send every mobile device an update on a single day?

How is this different from the flash crowds caused by hockey championships, or football games, or any of the other
things that generate a lot of simultaneous interest every once in a while?

Never mind the fact that we are we ones on the last mile responsible for getting it to their customers, 1gb per sub
is pretty serious.. Why are they not caching at their head ends, dslams, etc?

Given that the code is signed, I'm surprised that iDevices that have already upgraded the hard way don't advertise a
"update available" service on local networks. Individual devices don't care where the updates come from, so long as the
signatures are good.

You'd think that'd have the potential to improve the user experience as well as avoid jamming the tubes, especially in
highly multi-user environments like university campuses; it could probably halve the network load in a significant
number of home networks, too.

Joe