nanog mailing list archives

Re: iOS 7 update traffic

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 14:06:59 -0400

On 2013-09-19, at 13:58, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () mykolab com> wrote:

Can someone please explain to a non-Apple person what the hell happened
that started generating so much traffic? Perhaps I missed it in this
thread, but I would be curious to know what iOS 7 implemented that
caused this...

I think the inference is that iOS 7 caused the extra traffic by being available for download.

There are just a lot of Apple devices, and they tend to get upgraded more promptly than other platforms (e.g. on
release day). We saw a similar phenomenon tracking downloads of the root zone DNSSEC trust anchor from data.iana.org --
we now see three million downloads per month, and pretty much all of those are iOS devices (or other devices
impersonating them, which seems unlikely).

Joe