nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network configuration archiving

From: Erik Muller <erikm () buh org>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:05:07 -0400

On 10/24/13 17:25 , Job Snijders wrote:
Some might say "it took ages to get rancid to do kinda what we want!",
but not all software ages well. One might work in environments where
archived configurations are needed to even start provisioning, one
might desire a separation between actual config and transcient data.

Rancid certainly has its warts, but other than needing to test, pull hair, and patch things for new OS/platform deployments, it still generally Just Works once you have it installed, IME... and references like http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/SteveSmithFedora15.pdf that are a bit dated still work well as a guide for deployment on more recent server OSes.

As I am evaluating our path forward, I've compiled a small list of open
source projects with some biased highlights. Your feedback is most
welcome, maybe I missed some interesting projects or developments. I
would also be very interested in what other operators seek in a network
config/state archive tool.

I can't claim any knowledge of its actual functionality, but I've also heard of
NOC Project - http://nocproject.org/
From the docs, it seems like it's trying to be more of an all-in-one do-everything package than just an archiving tool, but it could be worth investigating. It claims support for a wide array of kit, and seems to have a non-trivial user base.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested to hear if your evaluation determines that there is a R,RAN*ID out there that we've been overlooking.
-e