nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP failure analysis and recommendations

From: Courtney Smith <courtneysmith () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 22:18:49 -0400

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:40:34 -0400
From: JRC NOC <nospam-nanog () jensenresearch com>
To: nanog () nanog org
Subject: BGP failure analysis and recommendations

Hello Nanog -

On Saturday, October 19th at about 13:00 UTC we experienced an IP failure
at one of our sites in the New York area.
It was apparently a widespread outage on the East coast, but I haven't seen
it discussed here.

We are multihomed, using EBGP to three (diverse) upstream providers. One
provider experienced a hardware failure in a core component at one POP.
Regrettably, during the outage our BGP session remained active and we
continued receiving full routes from the affected AS.  And our prefixes
continued to be advertised at their border. However basically none of the
traffic between those prefixes over that provider was delivered. The bogus
routes stayed up for hours. We shutdown the BGP peering session when the
nature of the problem became clear. This was effective. I believe that all
customer BGP routes were similarly affected, including those belonging to
some large regional networks and corporations. I have raised the questions
below with the provider but haven't received any information or advice.

Did you provider provide an official written RFO yet?

Courtney Smith
courtneysmith () comcast net