nanog mailing list archives

Re: Policy-based routing is evil? Discuss.

From: John Osmon <josmon () rigozsaurus com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 23:55:54 -0600

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:48:03AM -0700, Octavio Alvarez wrote:
On 10/11/2013 10:27 AM, William Waites wrote:
I'm having a discussion with a small network in a part of the world
where bandwidth is scarce and multiple DSL lines are often used for
upstream links. The topic is policy-based routing, which is being
described as "load balancing" where end-user traffic is assigned to a
line according to source address.

I wouldn't say "evil", I have found it really useful in some cases. You
just need a different approach to the network design.

Yeah.

Just do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.

(Sorry, but a Lazarus Long quote seemed appropriate.)