nanog mailing list archives

Re: How anti-NSA backlash could fracture the Internet along national borders - The Washington Post

From: Jim Popovitch <jimpop () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 15:44:00 -0400

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop () gmail com> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 3:06 PM, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:
In article <ee045d19-797d-4346-8793-b854e528f813 () email android com> you
write:
The balkanizing of the Net?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/11/01/how-anti-nsa-backlash-could-fracture-the-internet-along-national-borders/

I expect we'll hear lots of pontification, quietly fading away when
someone explains to the pontificators just how expensive it would be
to do what they want, and ask where the money is coming from.

It would be swell if Brazil routed its Internet traffic somewhere
other than Miami, for purely technical reasons of resilience and
shorter routes.  But that would require a cable to other places
(Africa and Europe.)  They can do that any time, so long as they pay
for it.

I can't be the only one to have been following this 12.8TB of neat-o-ness:

http://www.bricscable.com/

-Jim P.

I wince for the copy-editor that missed the typo
in this headline:

http://www.bricscable.com/blog/brics-scale-black-plan-to-challenge-west/

Yeah. I reported that to them over the Summer... hopefully their cable
laying crew is more attentive to detail. ;-)

-Jim P.