nanog mailing list archives

Re: Automatic abuse reports

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 20:43:28 -0500

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:52 PM, Sam Moats <sam () circlenet us> wrote:
We used to use a small perl script called tattle that would parse out the
/var/log/secure on our *nix boxes, isolate the inbound ssh exploits, lookup
the proper abuse contacts and report them. I haven't seen anything similar
in years but it would be interesting to do more than null route IPs.

The problem we had with the automated reporting was dealing with spoofed
sources, we see lots of traffic that is obviously hostile but unless it
becomes serious enough to impact performance we rarely report it. An
automated system didn't seem to fit anymore due to false positives.

Hi Sam,

Out of curiosity -- how does one get a false positive on an ssh
exploit attempt? Does the origin IP not have to complete a 3-way
handshake before it can attempt an exploit?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004