nanog mailing list archives

Re: CPE dns hijacking malware

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 15:54:19 -0600

On 11/12/2013 3:24 PM, Larry Sheldon wrote:
On 11/12/2013 12:12 AM, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

On Nov 12, 2013, at 12:56 PM, Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com>
wrote:

It appears that some of my subscribers DSL modems (which are acting
as nat routers) have had their dns settings hijacked and presumably
for serving ads or some such nonsense.

How do you think this was accomplished?  Via some kind of Web exploit
customized for those devices and targeting your user population via
email or social media, which tricked users into clicking on something
that accessed the Web admin interface via default admin credentials
or somsesuch; or via some direct attack on the CPE devices
themselves; or via some other method?

I am less well informed here than in a lot of other things, so please be
gentle.

As a user of such equipment, I don't see or know of anything in the I/F
that I have access-to that mentions DNSish stuff except the servers I am
to use.

But interestingly enough, when I tried to look at it to verify my
belief's just no I got a certificate error that it won't let me past.

That seems odd.

Meant to send this to the list.

The on-line chat to Linksys was subsatisfying, but for want of something to do I dropped the "s" IN "https" and go on the router just fine. Makes you wonder if I understand "certificates".

But I do not see anything that looks like I can affect DNS beyond which servers I use.
--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                        of System Administrators: