nanog mailing list archives

Re: High throughput bgp links using gentoo + stipped kernel

From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent () guerby net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 10:46:53 +0200

On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 10:35 +0200, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
On Mon, 2013-05-20 at 11:23 +1200, Ben wrote:
With regards to security of OpenBSD versus Linux, you shouldn't be exposing any
services to the world with either.  And it's more stability/configuration that would
push me to OpenBSD rather than performance.

And with regards to crashing I'd try and figure out what was happening there quickly
before making radical changes.  Is it running out of memory, is Quagga dying?  Is
there a default route that works when Quagga crashes?  One issue I had was I found
Quagga crashing leaving a whole lot of routes lingering in the table, and I had a
script that'd go through and purge them.

Hi,

We've been running a small AS with BIRD on Linux(debian) without any
issue in two years of production on two software routers so far:

http://bird.network.cz/

I forgot to mention that there is now a paying support programme
in case you need it:

http://bird.network.cz/?support

Laurent