nanog mailing list archives

Re: Andros Island Connectivity?

From: Rob Seastrom <rs () seastrom com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 22:08:25 -0400

Joel M Snyder <Joel.Snyder () Opus1 COM> writes:

Actually, Citrix (in particular) works quite well over satellite
latencies.  The network project I'm working on right now is wrapping
up an app rollout to about 100 countries, many of which we can only
reach via VSAT.  Testing showed that Citrix performance is much better
for AJAX-y web apps than pure HTTP.

Citrix has a bunch of intelligence built-in specifically to deal with
issues related to high-latency/low-bandwidth circuits, including local
mouse, local echo, click/movement aggregation into large packets, and
of course compression-before-encryption.  It's not quite Memorex, but
it's very usable.

That's good to know that it's evolved so well.  Painful, almost
repressed memories suggest that it wasn't always so good.

-r