nanog mailing list archives

Re: Open Resolver Problems

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:25:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Matthew Petach wrote:

The concern Valdis raised about securing recursives while still
being able to issue static nameserver IPs to mobile devices
is an orthogonal problem to Owen putting rate limiters on
the authoritative servers for he.net.  If we're all lighting up
pitchforks and raising torches, I'd kinda like to know at which
castle we're going to go throw pitchforks.

BCP38. As you can see from the wandering conversation, there are many attack vectors that hinge on the ability to spoof the source address, and thereby misdirect responses to your DDoS target. BCP38 filtering stops them all. Or, we can ignore BCP38 for several more years, go on a couple years crusade against open recursive resolvers, then against non-rate-limited authoratative servers, default public RO SNMP communities, etc.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route