nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 - Internet Death Penalty

From: Jay Ashworth <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 21:43:38 -0400 (EDT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Andrews" <marka () isc org>

If you are with a ISP that does not practice BCP 38 are you willing
to risk your neck that you won't be subject to a "aiding and abetting"
charge? All of us here know that spoofing address like this is a
criminal activity. We are all experts in the field and the courts
apply higher standards to us than they do to Joe Blogs. We know
machines get compromised. We know how to block spoofed traffic
from compromised machines.

Careful: source address spoofing, like using a name you don't have on your
driver license *is not inherently a crime*.  *Fraudulent behaviour which
is advanced thereby* makes it an additional crime.

SAS is sometimes necessary for testing.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com