nanog mailing list archives

Re: cannot access some popular websites from Linode, geolocation is wrong, ARIN is to blame?

From: Bill Weiss <houdini+nanog () clanspum net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 16:16:08 -0600

Constantine A. Murenin(mureninc () gmail com)@Sat, Mar 02, 2013 at 01:58:09PM -0800:
Dear NANOG@,
<snip>
Additionally, it seems like both yelp.com and retailmenot.com block
the whole 173.230.144.0/20 from their web-sites, returning some
graphical "403 Forbidden" pages instead.
<snip>
And in regards to yelp and retailmenot; why are they blocking Linode
customers in 173.230.144.0/20?  I've tried contacting both on multiple
occasions, and have never received any replies from yelp, but
retailmenot has replied several times with a blanket "someone may have
tried to scrap, spam or proxy our site from this network".  I have
repeatedly asked retailmenot if they'd block Verizon or AT&T if
someone tries to scrap or spam their web-site from those networks,
too, but have never received any replies.  I have also tried
contacting Linode regarding this issue, and although they were very
patient and tried troubleshooting the problem, reporting that it
appears that other addresses within 173.230.144.0/20 are likewise
blocked, but some of their other address ranges at another DC are not,
they have not been able to get in touch with anyone at yelp or
retailmenot to isolate the problem.

For what it's worth, I've contacted Yelp about this issue a number of
times, and they're wholly uninterested in traffic from Linode.  They're
also unwilling to discuss the issue with someone coming from Linode.  So,
good luck on that front!

--
Bill Weiss