nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why are there no GeoDNS solutions anywhere in sight?

From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:39:27 -0700

On 21 March 2013 05:23, Graham Beneke <graham () apolix co za> wrote:
On 21/03/2013 09:23, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:
On 20 March 2013 21:29, Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp> wrote:
Constantine A. Murenin wrote:

Why even stop there:  all modern browsers usually know the exact
location of the user, often with street-level accuracy.

If you think mobile, they don't, especially because "often" is
not at all "enough times".

Are you suggesting that geolocation is inaccurate enough to misplace
Europe with Asia?

I don't think that it is even a suggestion. It is trivially achievable:

I have a transit provider which is a US based company. They route a
small slice of their IP space to us over the transit link...
at their PoP in London...
where I pick it up and route it to Johannesburg.

All the while - geolocation is convinced those IPs reside in the
hometown of my transit provider.

I also know of many people who use VPNs to intentionally goelocate
themselves somewhere other than their real location in order to get
around certain content filtering.

Your two examples are quite the opposite of each other, I don't know
if this was your intention.

In the first case, when a US-based (and/or ARIN issued) address space
is moved to Europe or Africa, a server-based geoloc would result in
suboptimal results, but a client-based geoloc would very likely
provide sought-after results.

In the second, VPN case -- exactly the opposite -- server-based would
work great, client based would be suboptimal.

Does it show that geoloc is hard to get right?

Yes.

But what I don't understand is why everyone implies that the status
quo with round-robin DNS is any better.

C.