nanog mailing list archives

Re: [c-nsp] DNS amplification

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 13:12:34 -0400

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Aled Morris <aledm () qix co uk> wrote:
On 19 March 2013 01:06, Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>wrote:

LISP merely attempts to replace BGP routing table bloat with
something a lot worse than that, that is, a lot more serious
routing table bloat of its mapping system.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of LISP, but in it's defense I'd say the
mapping system is akin to DNS - a scalable, distributed, reliable database
mapping services to locations.

BGP certainly can't cope with unconstrained growth, we will need something
better.

and by 'bgp' you mean 'the implementation(s) of BGP on platforms today'

There's nothing inherent in BGP that would not work with an
unconstrained growth of the routing table, right? You just need enough
bandwidth and interrupts to deal with updates.