nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are undersea cables tapped before they get to ISP's? [was Re: Security over SONET/SDH]

From: Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:14:05 +0300

At 10:38 25/06/2013 -0400, Christopher Morrow wrote:

this involved, I think, just intuiting signals from the nearfield
effects of the cable, no? 'drop a large sensor ontop-of/next-to the
cable, win!'

> <http://defensetech.org/2005/02/21/jimmy-carter-super-spy/>

this I thought included the capabilities to drag the fiber/line into
the hull for 'work' to be done... I'd note that introducing signal
loss on the longhaul fiber seems 'risky', you'd have to know (and this
isn't hard I bet) the tolerances of the link in question and have a
way to stay inside those tolerances and not introduce new
splice-points/junctions/etc and be careful for the undersea cable
power (electric) requirements as well.

fun stuff!

Fun stuff indeed...sell to one org or the other:
http://www.glimmerglass.com/solutions/submarine-cable-landing-stations/
http://www.glimmerglass.com/solutions/cyber-security-and-lawful-interception/

-Hank