nanog mailing list archives

Re: This is a coordinated hacking. (Was Re: Need help in flushing DNS)

From: Hal Murray <hmurray () megapathdsl net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 20:25:24 -0700

....at what point is the Internet a piece of infrastructure whereby we
actually need a way to watch this thing holistically as it is one system and
not just a bunch of inter-jointed systems? Who's job is it to do nothing but
ensure that the state of DNS and other services is running as it
should....who's the clearing house here.

The Internet:  Discovering new SPOF since 1969!
:)  Thanks.

Perhaps we should setup a distributed system for checking things rather than
another SPOF.  That's distributed both geographically and administratively
and using several code-bases.

In this context, I'd expect lots of false alarms due to people changing their
DNS servers but forgetting to inform their monitoring setup (either internal
or outsourced).

How would you check/verify that the communication path from the monitoring
agency to the right people in your NOC was working correctly?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.