nanog mailing list archives

Re: recommended outdoor enclosures

From: Chuck Anderson <cra () WPI EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:28:15 -0400

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 04:19:07PM -0400, Jon Sands wrote:
This is by far a "cheaper" option, but should work just fine. I'm
about to do the same myself.

Grab a used cab here - http://www.usedtowers.com/CABINETS/CABINETS.htm

Some of those come with the factory huge AC systems built for
thousands of watts of equipment inside, but if you're like me and
will have 300-400 watts max, grab a non-cooled cabinet for cheap.

Then pick up one of these guys and slap it on, buy the capacity you
need. You can get them with a heating option as well, they're
thermoelectric and very affordable-
http://www.eicsolutions.com/thermoelectric-air-conditioners.php

"very affordable"?  I looked at those and they cost more than twice
the cost of the cabinet itself.  But I might end up going with them
anyway, 1500 BTU would cover the 400 watts I generate inside the
cabinet, but I'm more concerned about the outdoor environment/solar
heating effects.  How many BTU should I add to account for that?