nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ciena 6200 clue?

From: Jeff Shultz <jeffshultz () wvi com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2013 13:01:44 -0700

On 7/3/2013 12:57 PM, Brandon Ross wrote:
On Tue, 2 Jul 2013, Jason Lixfeld wrote:

The SE who's onsite is apparently claiming that there is no provision
to set a default gateway on the management interface.

Everyone knows that attacks against your management interface come from
devices not on your management network.  By removing the default gateway
feature, Ciena is improving the security of your network.

While my device is not a Ciena, it has the same issue - and I don't think I'm going to be getting attacks against my management interface on a 10.0.x.x network.

I want the option to decide for myself.

I'm not all that interested in setting up a management VLAN so this one device in my central office will be happy on it's "virtually flat" network.

--
Jeff Shultz