nanog mailing list archives

Re: One of our own in the Guardian.

From: Jima <nanog () jima us>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 19:08:16 -0600

On 2013-07-13 20:15, Jima wrote:
  I can happily state that XMission is my home ISP, with UTOPIA
(city-involved fiber optic provider) as the local loop.  (Really, who
has 100/100 at home?)

Thanks to everyone who responded -- my list of places I'm willing to live is rounding out. ;-)

XMission does offer 1000/1000, as well; I seem to recall the price is something like $300/mo. For us, the problem was more finding remote sites that can push data rates anywhere near one's own limit (as it's enough of a problem at 100mbit), making the price bump not quite worth it.

The unfortunate fallout from having such great service is that I live in fear of having to move outside of a UTOPIA service area, and back to the duopoly providers (Comcast & CenturyLink for the most part here). One might suggest getting XMission over DSL, but CenturyLink has been locking out third-party providers as they've rolled out ADSL2.

     Jima