nanog mailing list archives

Re: What to expect after a cooling failure

From: Jake Khuon <khuon () NEEBU Net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 22:36:41 -0700

On 09/07/13 20:28, Erik Levinson wrote:

For those who have gone through such events in the past, what can one
expect in terms of long-term impact...should we expect some premature
component failures? Does anyone have any stats to share?

While others have already talked about what to look out for in terms of systems and drives, I haven't seen anyone mention things like your UPS batteries. Were they also heat-soaked? At one place I worked at, we lost a whole bank of batteries in the UPS room when it overheated. I think that was somewhere around a $95,000 replacement and required rush-delivery of a lot of SLAs from all over the place.