nanog mailing list archives

Re: Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:06:40 -0800

On Jan 31, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk> wrote:

I'm saying you put the splitter next to the OLT and then
run multiple fibers from there to the subscribers IN THE MMR

That's the way I'd expect it to be done if planning ahead,
GPON is today technology and new things always come

I can see why they don't do this though

1. reduced build cost today - smaller MMR, fewer fibres to the
roadside.

Tradeoff: It only works for one provider and a competitive provider
has to put in their own full build of fiber.

2. gpon makes it harder for competing unbundlers to get share
in your investment

Which is why this whole discussion is about ways to implement
an MMR and take the L1 out of the service provider picture and
make it an independent municipal service.

3. no home run fibres means no competitors running their own
GPON or Ethernet. Why invest in making it easier for the
competition

The point here is to eliminate that problem. Thank you for making
my point.

Owen