nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advisory — D-root is changing its IPv4 address on the 3rd of January.

From: Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:33:03 -0500

Hi Henry,

On 2013-01-03, at 13:29, Henry Steuart <HSteuart () alliedtelecom net> wrote:

Perhaps someone at internic.net could explain why the file in the first directory is WRONG but that in the second
includes the correct info?
[legacy cron jobs pointing at FTP. will obviously not succeed]

;       This file is made available by InterNIC
;       under anonymous FTP as
;           file                /domain/named.cache
;           on server           FTP.INTERNIC.NET
;       -OR-                    RS.INTERNIC.NET

I am not one of the people who works with root zone management, but I understand that:

 - the normative location of the root hints file is ftp://rs.internic.net/domain/named.root
 - some of the other mirrors take a few hours to update

I appreciate that this is not obviously congruent with the text in the file you cited.

I'll pass on this message, and thanks for the feedback.

Joe