nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions for the future on your web site: (was cookies, and before that Re: Dreamhost hijacking my prefix...)

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 12:27:58 -0800

On Jan 20, 2013, at 11:51 AM, Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org> wrote:

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 03:54:37PM -0800, George Herbert wrote:
On Jan 18, 2013, at 7:52 PM, Matt Palmer <mpalmer () hezmatt org> wrote:

Storing any state server-side is a really bad idea for scalability and
reliability.

?

Doing that - into a user state DB of sone sort, either external or in
middleware, is routine...

It may be routine, but it is an additional point of failure, and it is also
an additional scaling bottleneck.  If all you ever run are tiny sites with
little chance of ever seeing big loads, sure, stick it in a DB somewhere.
But if you ever think (or even hope) that your site will take off one day,
it pays to think about these things and reduce the number of fires to put
out by one.

I'm talking about multimillion user sites...

I designed the hosting infrastructure for one and have been a consulting architect later in the site lifecycle for
several others...

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone