nanog mailing list archives

Re: [SHAME] Spam Rats

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 21:27:17 -0600

On Jan 9, 2013, at 8:58 PM, Julian DeMarchi wrote:
This is the first RBL I have seen list a /24 for lack of PTRs. Not for
sending spam, but just PTRs alone. How do you explain this to your
customer?

We're small shop, but our policy is not to accept email from addresses without PTRs.  And we have a long list of
pool/dhcp/dyn/resnet PTRs we don't accept mail from as well.

I tried SpamRats a few years ago, but found them to have too many false positives.  Then, they were trying to be early
detectors of spam orginiating from static IP cable/DSL customers.  Good idea, but poorly executed in operation.

--Chris