nanog mailing list archives

Re: Demarc in FTTH ?

From: "Justin M. Streiner" <streiner () cluebyfour org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:52:12 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:

Would it be the ONT ? (since beyond the ONT, the end user has no ability
to test the line).

I would tend to think the ONT is treated as the demarc point. Most carriers I've seen treat them as the optical equivalent of copper NIDs or smartjacks.

I have no non-physical access (1) to the ONT for the FiOS installation at my house, and no responsibility for it, beyond providing it with power.

(1) a possibly untrue statement, but I've never had any real need to mess around with it ;)

jms