nanog mailing list archives

Re: 10 Mbit/s problem in your network

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:52:57 -0800

On Feb 18, 2013, at 3:07 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com> wrote:

On 2/18/13 1:42 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
On Feb 17, 2013, at 21:12 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se> wrote:

On Sun, 17 Feb 2013, Owen DeLong wrote:

Greater attenuation is an oversimplification.

Along some dimensions sure, e.g. we have quite a lot of parameters we can fiddle with.

With respect to an istropic raditor and the same power level it is not. It's about 6-7dB  depending on which end of
the bands we're comparing - e.g. friis trasmission equation.

Show me a wifi access point for 802.11n that uses an isotropic radiator and I'll consider that more relevant.

(Yes, I'm aware that an isotropic radiator is useful as a baseline comparison because it eliminates antenna issues,
near-field/far field issues, and a host of other complications. However, the purpose of an isotropic radiator is, at
its core, the very definition of oversimplification because it is a theoretical antenna which removes all of the real
world complexities. To the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever actually built an isotropic radiator, though there are
a couple of very complex antennas that come a little closer than a ΒΌ wave whip.)

Owen