nanog mailing list archives

RE: Any experience with Grandstream VoIP equipment ?

From: Nathan Anderson <nathana () fsr com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 21:55:38 -0800

On Monday, February 11, 2013 9:33 PM, John R. Levine <mailto:johnl () iecc com> wrote:

Man is this strange: when I set my DHCP server to assign the Sipura box a
fixed IP address, the VoIP box didn't work.  When I let it assign an
address out of the pool, it did work.

So what happens if you now configure the DHCP server so that the (working) IP is removed from the pool, and have the
DHCP server explicitly assign it to the device instead?  Does it still work?  What if you turn the DHCP client off in
the ATA, and try to manually assign the ATA both the fixed IP that didn't work, and the IP that does?

There has to be a difference somewhere, whether it is in the DHCP payload, the way a router or NAT engine upstream is
treating that IP, or *something*.

--
Nathan Anderson
First Step Internet, LLC