nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Making of a Router

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 21:14:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

Another told Nick Cameo that if he can afford a 10G link, he can afford
Juniper. You could not be more wrong. The 10G uplink goes for $0 in initial
fee and less than $4k / month with unlimited traffic. The Juniper gear is
$100k up front for two routers able to handle the 10G links.

What I get from you guys is that in your opinion it is not possible to set
up a small ISP without spending a ton on Juniper or Cisco. I am not buying
that.

Small ISPs don't need 10gb transit connections. Even if you did want cisco gear capable of handling 10gb transit, it can be done on the secondary market for a fraction of that $100k figure.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route