nanog mailing list archives

Re: turning on comcast v6

From: Doug Barton <dougb () dougbarton us>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:16:57 -0800

On 12/20/2013 05:25 AM, Lee Howard wrote:
So there's an interesting question.  You suggest there's a disagreement
between enterprise network operators and protocol designers. Who should
change?

Rather obviously the protocol designers, since they are clearly out of touch with real-world requirements. RA/SLAAC was a clever idea 20 years ago, and still has value for its original intended purpose, putting dumb clients on the net. However in the time since IPng DHCP won the day. Enterprises have their own administrative structures that work with v4, and see no reason to have to change them to accommodate the lofty goals of the IPv6 luminati.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of enterprises are happy with their v4 NATs, aren't affected by address exhaustion issues, and have no reason to move to v6.

I used to run an enterprise network. It was very different from an ISP
network. I didn't say, "You're wrong!" I said, "What's missing?"

Apples and cumquats.

There are business reasons to run IPv6. The fact that it's different than
IPv4 is not a reason not to use it.

... except that enterprises have been saying for over a decade that full-featured DHCP is a requirement before they will even look at v6. Not to mention the inherent insecurity of RA/SLAAC, which has yet to be robustly addressed. Yes, rogue DHCP servers are still possible, but the effects are more manageable and arguably easier to mitigate; not to mention the better security for this that is built into most modern networking gear already.

Doug