nanog mailing list archives

Re: ddos attacks

From: Lee Howard <Lee () asgard org>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 11:13:48 -0500

On 12/18/13 8:03 PM, "Jon Lewis" <jlewis () lewis org> wrote:

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 15:12:28 -0800, "cb.list6" said:

I am strongly considering having my upstreams to simply rate limit ipv4
UDP. It is the simplest solution that is proactive.

What are the prospects for ipv6 UDP not suffering the same fate?

Roughly 0%, but there's so little v6 traffic compared to v4, you probably
don't have to worry about v6 attack traffic yet...particularly if you're
not dual stack yet.  :)

-1 uninsightful

Can't find any public data showing IPv6 as a percent of total bits, but
it's certainly a meaningful percent of hits in many countries and networks.

See also
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-opsec-ipv6-implications-on-ipv4-nets-
00 which describes risks from IPv6 to people who think they are running an
IPv4-only network.

Lee