nanog mailing list archives

Re: do ISPs keep track of end-user IP changes within thier network?

From: Jake Mertel <jake () nobistech net>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:14:01 -0700

While I'm also not an attorney, my reading of 18 USC 2703 leads me to
believe that records need only to be preserved for 180 days if a
governmental entity (i.e. law enforcement agency, regulatory body,
prosecutors office, etc) makes a request that such records be preserved. To
the best of my knowledge, there's no statue on the books (at least at a
federal level) which would mandate that a provider keep any records
relating to dynamic IP allocations.

--
Regards,

Jake Mertel
Nobis Technology Group, LLC

*Web: *http://www.nobistech.net
*Phone: *1-480-212-1710
*Mail:* 6930 East Chauncey Lane, Suite 150, Phoenix, AZ 85054