nanog mailing list archives

Re: [nznog] Web Servers: Dual-homing or DNAT/Port Forwarding?

From: Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon () cox net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 19:42:16 -0600

On 12/11/2013 9:21 AM, Tim Franklin wrote:
Just because something is public doesn¹t mean you have to accept
ALL traffic, it just means you have to anticipate any potential
problems based on Larry knowing your address rather than imagining
him standing at the front gate of your gated community. ;) (let¹s
torture that analogy!)

There's still a gated community?  I thought that particular piece of
routing joy was long gone...

Sorry, I'll get my coat. Tim.

I'm not sure that was an analogy--it was exploring the exact meanings of two words.

In any case, I submit that an address behind a gate is not a "public address".

But my point is, my address is in fact public, not behind any gates--displayed once on the post that supports the mail box, again inside the mailbox door for the mail person, and on a sign on the house next to the door.

Which public display grants to no one any right of access to the interior of my house (indeed to no part of the property save the path from the street to the front door).

Similarly, my IP address could be publicly visible but that does not grant any right of access to the equipment it attaches to.

(I might leave my front door wide open--that STILL does not grant any RIGHT of access. It does depend on archaic notions of honest and regard for rights to keep people out.)

I'm done.
--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                        of System Administrators: