nanog mailing list archives

Re: Caps (was Re: AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO)

From: Dave Crocker <dhc2 () dcrocker net>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2013 07:59:22 -0800

On 12/8/2013 9:48 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
Very specifically:

A 3270 that took 5 seconds of delay and then *snapped* the entire screen
up at once was perceived as "faster" than a 9600 tty that painted the same
entire screen in about a second and a half or so.  Don't remember who it
was either, but likely Bell Labs.

Interesting, but it doesn't feel like the one I'm vaguely remembering. (How's that for waffling?)

But then, when interactive computing started getting real, by the late 60s and early 70s, a number of places started studying human-computer interaction issues. IBM and Bell Labs were the two places best positioned with researchers for this.

Anyhow, my main point was that economic charging models that are entirely rational, with respect to consumption and cost, don't always work for user preference.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking