nanog mailing list archives

Re: Someone’s Been Siphoning Data Through a Huge Security Hole in the Internet

From: Merike Kaeo <merike () doubleshotsecurity com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 13:46:22 -0800

On Dec 6, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Eugeniu Patrascu <eugen () imacandi net> wrote:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:48 PM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Dec 6, 2013, at 1:39 PM, Brandon Galbraith <brandon.galbraith () gmail com>
wrote:

If your flows are a target, or your data is of an extremely sensitive
nature (diplomatic, etc), why aren't you moving those bits over
something more private than IP (point to point L2, MPLS)? This doesn't
work for the VoIP target mentioned, but foreign ministries should most
definitely not be trusting encryption alone.

I will ruin someones weekend here, but:

MPLS != Encryption.  MPLS VPN = "Stick a label before the still
unencrypted IP packet".
MPLS doesn't secure your data, you are responsible for keeping it secure
on the wire.

It's always interesting to watch someone's expression when they hear that
MPLS VPN, even if it says VPN in the name is not encrypted. Priceless every
time :)

So, just to raise the bar…I had someone once tell me they encrypted everything since they
were using IPsec.  Since I only trust configurations, lo and behold the configuration was
IPsec AH.  As exercise to reader….determine why using IPsec does not automagically equate to
encrypted traffic.

This was only 2 years ago while doing a security assessment for someone.

I greatly dislike the term 'VPN'…..always have and always will.   Marketechture is awesome!

- merike