nanog mailing list archives

Re: which firewall product?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 15:19:25 -0400

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 8:48 AM, Jason Pack <jpack () sevone com> wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can do this with any modern firewall... An ASA5505 is
always a good bet.

You'd just have to route the IPIP packets to a hairpin interface on the
firewall, then create a policy that handles packets coming inbound from the
hairpin.  Policies for handling traffic with that as the source interface
would be able to filter based on layer-3 info as normal.

Hi Jason,

Hairpinning. So, set a router in there with a policy set on the
inbound ipip tunnel to forward all traffic out an ethernet to the ASA.
Then once I get it back on another ethernet from the ASA, use another
policy route to push it all to an outbound tunnel interface.

I hadn't considered that. Yikes, I'm not sure I want to. :)

Thanks,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004