nanog mailing list archives

Re: [Q] What is your favorite Network Tools Live CD / USB, which you could have running in remote offices?

From: Stefan <netfortius () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:40:50 -0500

Should have mentioned what I already use for security toolset base: Kali
and Security Onion ...

***Stefan Mititelu
http://twitter.com/netfortius
http://www.linkedin.com/in/netfortius

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Michael Shuler <michael () pbandjelly org>wrote:

On 08/22/2013 12:06 PM, Stefan wrote:
I've been toying with Live distros (CD, then USB) for many years, in
support of security toolsets, to which I kept adding my own stuff, or
customizing existing components.

I am now trying to "build" a network toolset LiveCD/USB, but this time
with
a completely different purpose: I would like to put it in the hands of
all
remote offices we have on our network, and use it to have local systems
boot out of it, and help us then run troubleshooting tools, from the
central office, by SSH/X-ing into the remote live system (e.g. iperf,
hping3, httping, tcping, mtr, tcpdump, voip tools, some "thin"
clients/apps, synthetic transactions scripted to run at diff time
intervals, and report back to us the "health" seen form the remotes,
etc.).
Has anybody used a "base" network tools Live CD/USB that they would
recommend, having used as "basis" for such a "network probe"
functionality?

http://www.kali.org/ - it is completely customizable, as well.

--
Kind regards,