nanog mailing list archives

Re: Tier1 blackholing policy?

From: "Patrick W. Gilmore" <patrick () ianai net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:12:12 -0400

On Apr 30, 2013, at 11:07 , Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com> wrote:
On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 10:59 -0400, ML wrote:

1) Do nothing - They're supposed deliver any and all bits
(Disregarding
a DoS or similiar situation which impedes said network)
2) Prefix filter - Don't be a party (at least in one direction) to the
bad actors traffic.

3 - Deliver all packets unless I've signed up for an enhanced security
offering?

While I like that plan, there are a LOT more people who will scream about not being "protected" than those who will
bitch they can't get to a phishing site.

Since networks are for-profit companies, they'll lower their costs (e.g. support calls), as long as it lowers their
cost more than the "cost" of losing a customer or two (and let's be honest, that is about all they _might_ lose) who
are religious about the whole "transit means everywhere" thing.

--
TTFN,
patrick